• Thank you to all the senior-departing editors who have done an amazing job over the years!

• Congresswoman Mary Gay Scanlon is coming to Strath Haven for a town hall event!

Senior John Crawford Leading Haven Wrestling to Success

The senior wrestling captain sat down with the Panther Press to discuss the current season.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ryan Krouse, Sports Editor

As we move towards the end of the winter sports season, this edition’s athlete spotlight focuses on John Crawford. John was voted a captain for his senior season and has been living up to the expectations. With a personal record of 16-2, Crawford has helped the Panthers to a 11-8 team record with five events left in the regular season. His success has garnered attention from college coaches as well, as he has committed to wrestle at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. In his interview, he discussed aspects of the sports, as well as personal and team goals to pursue.

Panther Press: What is it about wrestling that really drew you to the sport?

John Crawford: The physicality of the sport and the hard-work and preparation that goes into it. Being in the best shape possible ( strength wise, endurance wise, technically, and mentally)

PP: With the season already underway, have your expectations for the team changed in regards to your cumulative success?

JC: I think that everything we have experienced so far this season has been an opportunity for growth and development. We are only getting better as we approach the post season and I know that we will be peaking just as we get there. I’m looking forward to seeing our team make a strong run this postseason.

PP: Did you make any personal goals for yourself in the beginning of the season?

JC: To get on top of the podium in Hershey.

PP: What do you see as the team’s biggest strengths and weaknesses? In what ways do you wish to see the team develop in the following weeks?

JC: Our strengths are that the team camaraderie is strong, every kid on the team shows up to practice and works hard, everyone has a winning mentality, and our coaches know exactly what we need to be doing to achieve our goals and be the best. Our only weakness is that we have such a young team, many of the kids have only been wrestling for a couple of years, but I only see us improving and getting better as the season goes on and we continue to work hard and grow.

PP: What matchups this season, if any, really stick out to you? Why?

JC: We have a big dual meet against Wissahickon which will be a big test for us as a team. After that, Postseason is where we are going to truly see where we are in comparison to the rest of District 1.

PP: What factors played into your decision to wrestle at Franklin and Marshall?

JC: The school has everything I was looking for academically and athletically. They have a fantastic coaching staff and the team seems to get along great.

• Senior John Crawford Leading Haven Wrestling to Success

Front Page

Lt. Governor Brings Recreational Marijuana Listening Tour to Strath Haven

Front Page

New History Curriculum Implemented; Students Fight for Advanced French Studies

Front Page

Manwaring Takes Haven Heartthrob Crown

Editorial Board

Relay for Life Finishes Run at Haven with Successful 2019 Event

Front Page

Haven Works With Diversity Consultant

Front Page

Safe Driving was Every Junior’s Prom Date This Year

Front Page

Haven Discusses Student Safety One Year Later

Arts & Entertainment

Legally Blonde Cast and Crew Prep Enthusiastically for Upcoming Shows

Front Page

Haven Coach Inducted into Villanova Athletic Hall of Fame

Front Page

Students Plan to Host Mini-THON at Haven