• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Haven’s Thoughts on the 2018 Women’s March

Luke Mandel, '20, Staff Writer

Following Donald Trump’s inauguration, millions of people marched in cities all over the world
advocating for human rights. One could hear slogans such as “women’s rights are human rights” and “not my president” shouted by many voices in unison. In Washington D.C. public transportation overflowed with people hoisting signs protesting inequality and in- justice. The metro was so crowded people gave up trying to leave and
simply demonstrated from their spots underground. This worldwide protest was repeated one year later and again people rallied to march for equality. Several students from Strath Haven shared their experiences in the march.

Lilian Liu, ‘20 reflected on her experience on the march and said, “It was good, there were a lot of people there, and I didn’t stay for all of the speeches but I heard a bunch and all the speakers were pretty cool”. It was her first women’s march and she expressed it as a positive expe- rience.

Grace Hodges, ’19, had a similarly uplifting experience. “This was my first time going to a women’s march!” she said, “It was by far one of the most amazing experiences in my life. There was so much positivity and empowerment! It was super inspiring to see so many people coming out to march. Going to this reminded me that we’re all in this together”.

Jessica Knapp, ’21, said, “I saw most of the speeches in Philadelphia this year and a little less at Washington last year, but they were both very empowering and they were both for the same cause. There were more people at the first one, obviously, but it was still awesome for everyone to come together to continue the fight against Trump. Although we were marching for the same reason, the second one seemed more important to show that we aren’t giving up and that we aren’t going to make Trump and hisadministration’s actions normal”.

Marie Lowry, ’21, said, “It was very encouraging to see that people haven’t given up and are still fighting for social justice. Even after a year, people aren’t discouraged and it was amazing to be sur- rounded by people with high energy levels who care so much about thesocial and political issues in our country”.

Graham Hogg, ’19, said, “I think it was cool to see so many diverse people come together to spread a message of unity and resistance”

Sybilla Moore, ’20, said, “It was a great experience. The huge group of people had a great energy to it like last year and though the motivations for marching had shift- ed a bit because of the issues then and the issues more prevalent now, it was still focused. There wasn’t much diversity in the people marching but the speakers and signs were inclusive and talked about more than just women’s issues. The over- all focus was about getting out the vote”.

Just as Sybilla noted, the focus of the second march was a bit different than the first. The 2017 march focused on women’s rights, equality, and justice, and was based out of D.C.. This year, the head of the march was in Las Vegas and it pinpointed a recent movement across the United States. The 2018 march centered on supporting the crusade
to get women to run for office, and having the population vote. With the thousands of women marching in cities all around the world, the energy supporting women’s rights movement will hopefully drive the world to be a more equal place.