• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Golden Globes Say “Time’s Up!”

Maddie Marks, '19, co-Editor-in-Chief

This year’s Golden Globes, which aired on January 7th, were not only a celebration of the tireless work put in by filmmakers and the notable creations which arose from it, but a political statement against sexual assault. In the wake of the #MeToo movement, which encouraged people, particularly women, to voice their stories of sexual assault and abuse, the evening of the Golden Globes was filled with powerful condemnations of sexual abusers and tributes to the people who have been speaking out. Even just visually the attendees made a statement: almost every-
one was wearing black in solidarity with survivors of sexual assault and abuse.

Many of the men were also wearing pins that read “Time’s Up,” which went on to become a theme of the evening. Influential figures from all across the world of Hollywood supported and encouraged the idea that time is up for abusers not feeling the consequences for their actions, time is up for victims of sexual assault feeling afraid or ashamed to come out with their stories, and time is up for sexual assault to be allowed as a norm. After a stunning sea of black at- tire brought the issue of sexual assault to the spotlight, the night continued with an entertaining yet politically poignant opener by host Seth Meyers. He made a series of jabs at Harvey Weinstein and other alleged sexual abusers. His most notable comment, “Don’t worry, because [Weinstein] be back in 20 years as the first person ever booed during the In Memoriam” lent it- self to a shocked yet mildly pleased reaction from the crowd. His commentary was a way to solidly assure the stance of the Golden Globes on sexual assault. The use of jokes to regard the issue was a way of saying that the idea of condemning sexual assault is not radical. It is something everyone should be doing, and it is therefore normal enough to poke fun at these well-
known abusers.

The first award of the evening went to Nicole Kidman as Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV Movie for her role on the
television show Big Little Lies. Her speech was a perfect segue from Seth Myer’s witty commentary into a more serious tackling of the issue. In Big Little Lies, Kidman plays Celeste Wright, a strong and seri- ous woman struggling to care for herself and her children while enduring various kinds of abuse from her husband. Kidman paralleled Celeste’s story to that of many women today, saying, “This character that I played represents something that is the center of our conversation right now: abuse. I do believe, and I hope, we can elicit change through the stories we tell and the way we tell them. Let’s keep the conversation alive.”

Other notable awards were the two given to the television show The Handmaid’s Tale — one for Best Television Series – Drama, and one for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama, the latter given to actress Elisabeth Moss. In the show, Moss plays an intelligent and resilient woman in a fundamentalist, dystopian society who is torn away from her family to become a breeder. The story, brought to screen from a novel by Margaret Atwood, poignantly chronicles the drama, heartbreak, tragedy, and abomination of rights that would exist in this type of theocracy. Though the work originated in 1985, some details of the universe of The Handmaid’s Tale correspond scarily well to events taking place and words being said in modern day. In receiving her award, Moss commented about the #MeToo movement, saying, “We no longer live in the blank white spaces at the edge of print. We no longer live in the gaps between the stories. We are the story in print, and we are writing the story ourselves.”
Bruce Miller, the executive producer of the show, also regarded the political climate in the wake of sexual assault allegations, saying in his acceptance speech, “To all the people in this room and this country and this world who do everything they can to stop The Handmaid’s Tale from becoming real, keep doing that.”

Another memorable jab was one made by Natalie Portman in her presentation of the award for Best Director. Portman referred to those up for the award as the “all-male nominees,” placing special emphasis on the fact that all five of the directors nominated were men. This comment was not only connected to the theme of women’s empowerment present through- out the evening, but also the talented female directors that were not nominated this year, such as Lady Bird’s Greta Gerwig or Mudbound’s Dee Rees. This presentation also walked hand-in-hand with one made by Barbra Streisand, in which she drew attention to the fact that she has been the only woman to win the award for Best Director, which was in 1984. She called on both aspiring female directors and Hollywood Foreign Press Association, saying “We need more women directors and more women to be nominated for best director. There are so many films out there that are so good directed by women.”

Arguably the most stunning mo- ment of the evening was a speech made by Oprah Winfrey after she accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award, which was presented by Reese Witherspoon, her coworker on the upcoming film A Wrinkle in Time. The Cecil B. DeMille Award is presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association each year to a person for “outstanding con- tributions to the world of entertainment.” Oprah speech was rousing and inspiring — she commanded the attention of the au- dience and viewers at home. She opened with a touching story about watching Sidney Poitier, the first black actor to win an Academy Award for his leading role in Lilies of the Field. Oprah recounts this moment as life-changing for her. She went on to discuss the central theme of the evening, a movement that “transcends any culture, geography, race, religion, politics or workplace”: speaking out against sexual assault. Though sexual assault is being talked about currently in the realm of Hollywood mainly, it is something that touches everyone, everywhere. It does not exclusively affect those well-known, and we should not separate everyday occurrences of sexual assault from that which is happening up high in the clouds of Hollywood. Sexual assault happens in cities, in rural areas, in small suburban towns just like Wallingford-Swarthmore. It happens in workplaces and outside of workplaces. Perpetrators can be strangers, friends, or family. This subject is not something that should be taboo to talk about, because the only way to stop it from happening is to bring it into the light. Hollywood is taking a step in the right direction by publicly condemning sexual assault and sexism in the industry and in general. But while the #MeToo movement seems to be thriving and picking up speed, we must remember that there are victims of sexual assault who feel too ashamed or afraid to speak out. There are victims who would be in danger if they were to speak out. And it is important to remember and respect these people just as much as celebrities in Hollywood who are speaking out. The most important takeaway from the Golden Globes evening should be that sexual assault must be stopped on all levels. As Oprah says, “Know that a new day is on the horizon!”

Golden Globes Say “Time’s Up!”