• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Leditor: Intersectionality at Strath Havn

Hendrick Xiong-Calmes, '18, co-Editor-in-Chief

Dear Readers,

With the new semester comes a drastic schedule change to nearly every student and teacher. For some students with great fall schedules, it can be a bit of a disappointment when the semester changes, but for me it was a bit of a saving grace – chemistry is NOT my forte! I was sad to say goodbye to AP Research and Creative Writing, but I welcomed a great class that I was not expecting to love as much as I have – College Social Science Seminar.The class is taught by Mr. Waldman, and something about one of my more classes struck me.

During an in-class discussion about the president’s recent State of the Union speech, I found myself pondering the importance of intersectionality – the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender. During his speech, he goes through and discusses the war on energy, Guantanamo Bay, dreamers, and several other prominent issues. Among these numerous, he briefly mentions Puerto Rico as a part of the United States still recovering from recent tragedies, almost brushing it off in a way. I definitely have my own political leanings, but I don’t mean to be critical at all of the president; I just mean it as an observation of his discourse. The way he mentions Puerto Rico makes me think that Trump represents the population of our country that perceives Puerto Rico and other territories as separate from us. It’s not a huge stretch to assume that many are looking at Puerto Rico completely separately from the United States stemming from the vibrant subculture that Puerto Rico holds. It proves to be tough for a lot of people to grasp that subculture and implement it into their own definition of what a “true” American is.

This does have pertinence to our community in southeastern Pennsylvania. I don’t mean for my Leditor to be a flaming sheet of propaganda, but I truly think that the role of intersectionality – accepting other cultures and identities into our community –  is incremental here at Strath Haven. High school is a time where we all come together five days out of the week to bounce ideas off of each other and spread knowledge and gain ideas from those more educated than us. It can’t be all that tough to see where other people are coming from. I am a strong believer in the idea that there is no pure evil in the world, but there are selfish ideologies, misunderstandings, and a lack of communication that causes discrepancies between people. I think that more than anything, this leditor is a bit of a call to arms of acceptance. I think there’s more than enough hate in the world already, and if you can help it, you shouldn’t be consciously adding to it. Even though our president is pretty lenient with his terminology and his ideology, it doesn’t mean that there can’t be a prominent air acceptance here at Strath Haven.

Best,

Hendrick Xiong-Calmes