• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Overlooked Gems of the Grammy’s

Hendrick Xiong-Calmes, '18, co-Editor-in-Chief

18Often times, only very popular artists are the ones who receive recgonition or attention for their awards or nominations come the time of the Grammys. However, every year there are artists who do not take front and center stage when it comes to attention but still produce wonderful and respectable art, and it is important to give them as much acknowledgement as bigger names.

Ledisi has been nominated 12 times for the Grammy’s in various categories, and 2018 proved to not be her year, yet again. Despite two nominations, one in Best Traditional R&B Performance for her song “Give You More” with John Legend, and one in Best R&B Performance for her song “High,” she proved to not get an award yet again. Despite this, she is truly an exceptional artist. Ledisi is a prominent R&B artist who is keeping traditional R&B elements prominent in her music. Just give “High” a listen and you’ll know exactly what I mean. Ledisi is perfect for lovers of SZA or Jill Scott.

Female solo rocker K. Flay is a versatile artist compared to artists as diverse as Missy Elliot to Liz Phair. She was nominated for two awards this past Grammy season: Best Rock Song for “Blood in the Cut,” and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical for her second, and major label debut album Every Where Is Some Where. Blood in the Cut is a raging and screaming breakup anthem that doesn’t beg for your attention, it simply has it from the start. The imagery K. Flay uses progresses from abstract and auditory to physical and painful to listen to, utilizing lyrics and heavy guitar and drums to command the listener’s thoughts. Although she didn’t win the awards in her categories, K. Flay is an astounding newly-signed artist, and I look forward to seeing how the signing affects the evolution of her music.  

Rapsody is an astounding female rap sophisticate who I first learned about from a friend at camp two summers ago. Since then I’ve seen her music grow and evolve to the point where she received two Grammy nominations for her album, Laila’s Wisdom. Rapsody was nominated for Best Rap Album and her song Sassy was nominated for Best Rap Song. Her song Sassy draws upon Maya Angelou’s poem Still I Rise, especially the line “Does my sassiness upset you,” and she absolutely runs with it. Rapsody raps about perseverance and strength and it is an absolute must-listen for people who are thinking about getting into rap music. Personally, I’m not a big listener of the latest Lil-whoever, but Rapsody? She’s in a league of her own.

Overlooked Gems of the Grammy’s