• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Penn State Football End Season with a Bowl Win

Conor McCambridge, '19, Staff Writer

Although not necessarily the bowl they would have liked to win, the 35-28 win over 12th ranked Washington in the Fiesta Bowl was a nice way to wrap up a promising season for the Nittany Lions. After being ranked in the top 5 all season (topping out at number 2), heartbreaking back-to-back losses against rival Ohio State and Michigan State knocked them out of contention for the College Football playoff. These losses were devastating, considering this seemed to finally be their year in the wake of the scandals just a few years ago.

However, many bright points can be taken from this season for the future. Aside from the Fiesta Bowl win over a competitive opponent, running back Saquon Barkley was in Heisman contention for the entire year. He racked up an incredible 1,903 yards from scrimmage and 22 total touchdowns. After a strong 137 yard, 2 touchdown performance in the Fiesta Bowl, Barkley declared for the NFL Draft. He projects to be a top pick. Barkley has not forgotten about his academics though, as he wrote “I have made a promise to my mom, dad, and Coach Franklin that I will continue to pursue my dream of obtaining a Penn State Degree”. Other strong players include Quarterback Trace McSorley, who ended the season with 28 touchdowns and a 153.7 QB rating, and strong defensive showings from players like Jason Cabinda and Marcus Allen, who had 90 and 71 tackles, respectively.

With a strong recruiting class coming in and a sense of optimism for next season, Penn State looks to continue and extend their success into next season. The future looks bring for Coach Franklin and the Nittany Lions.