• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Wentz Continues to Shine as Eagles Look to Playoffs

Ian Guilday, '19, Staff Writer

With half of the NFL season already behind us, Eagles fans are rejoicing in the Eagles 10-1 start going into week 13. Not only is it the current best record in the League, but the last time the Eagles had this fantastic of a start, they went to the Super Bowl. Their red hot winning streak can be attributed to several aspects, the most significant of those being the outstanding performance of Carson Wentz thus far. This season, Wentz has completed 60.2 percent of his passes, for a total of 2,657 yards, averaging out to about 229 yards per game. Also, Wentz has accumulated 28 touchdowns throughout the season, the highest in the NFL this season. It is easy to say that if Wentz continues to play at this level, he would be a serious contender for MVP.

However, while Wentz has played a significantly large part in the Eagles success, he was not the only one. The receiving corps has been performing well, especially tight end Zach Ertz, as well as Wide Receivers Alshon Jeffery and Nelson Agholor, who have combined for 13 of the 28 touch- down catches this season. Also, the recent addition of all star Running Back Jay Ajayi has solidified the Eagles’ elite status. In his first game as an Eagle, Jay Ajayi rushed for a 46 yard touchdown, his first of the season. In addition, Philadelphia’s defense has been playing like a well oiled machine.

So far this season, they have 16 interceptions and 31 sacks, and are one of the best, if not the best, run defenses in the league. It looks like the Eagles will make the playoffs for the first time since 2013. If they do make the playoffs, they’ll have a tough road ahead of them, as they’ll most likely be facing teams such as the New Orleans Saints (8-3), the Minnesota Vikings (9-2), and the LA Rams (8-3).