• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Response to New Health Regulations

Lynnea Zhang, '19, Editor

Strath Haven is known for its copious amount of extracurricular activities, and its student body doing every single one of those copious number of activities. Many, many of these extracurricular activities, most likely to sheer volume and number, are critically underfunded. Which is why it’s hard to say that anyone is pleased by the bake sale ban. And I’m not even complaining because I can’t buy 7 cookies for 50 cents a pop anymore. I swear. Really.

Let’s break this down. As a member of our Speech and Debate team, our team motto is pretty much “Give us funding because we are super broke”. We live and thrive on revenue generated from bake sales, perhaps not live and thrive, but it is still a fairly substantial amount of income that we manage to generate every time. This bake sale ban isn’t going to be the end of the world, and it would not be so bad if the school either choose to raise funding for clubs and activities, or even if there was a similar alternative to a bake sale in terms of ease of effectiveness. But it is well known that the school is cutting funding right now (I will never ever get on the google classroom train), and it is hard to find something similar to a bake sale. Krispy Kreme or Chik-fil-A sales need to factor in profit margins for buying the supplies, instead of coercing someone to bake brownies on a Thursday night. Fundraising dinners at Iron Hill are hard to schedule, not something that can be routine, and don’t really attract anyone outside of team members to come, which kind of negates the point of raising money from the community around us.

Personally, I’m also critical of whether or not the bake sale ban is really going to have any effect or not. If there are issues with junk food intake among the student body, I sincerely doubt how effective telling a student they can’t have a cupcake after school once a week is really going to end up being. There are more effective ways to try and be healthier. Try cutting fried food out of the cafeteria, removed sweetened drinks out of the cafeteria, sell healthier entrees for lunch. The cafeteria accesses more people, and it probably infinitely more effective. So I think response from the student body is less visceral anger, but more confusion about what the school is attempting to accomplish through stopping teenagers from selling baked goods after school. There are many things about Strath Haven that its students don’t really understand, ranging from thermostat temperatures to the trailer classrooms. This is just going to have to be something else to get used to.

Response to New Health Regulations