• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Haven Field Hockey

Abby Malarkey, Caroline Zidek, ‘19, Staff Writers

This year of Strath Haven Field Hockey is off to a great start; with it’s large number of 40 girls, it is bound to be a great season! The girls have recently taken part in a central league tournament, held at Avon Grove, and came out undefeated. This success that the varsity team had was just the kick off that the team needed before the school season. This year, returning players, Olivia Fender, Sophia Foglio, Kay Walker, Emily Milone, and Katie Capalbo are moving onto their senior year. The girls will make great leaders for the varsity and junior varsity team for the upcoming season. Something unique about this group of girls is their family like bond, their preseason this summer has been filled with laughter and support from one another. This connection that the girls have is what makes this team so energetic and determined.

This year, there are some returning players that we are very excited to see in action. Katie Capalbo, returning midfield player, is already committed to Villanova University for the sport. Her speed, skills, and goal count are one to watch out for! She has been on the varsity team for 3 years, and is going on her fourth. Olivia Fender,
returning midfielder is also a 4 year varsity player. She brings the spirit and sense of community that helps keep the team thriving. Kay Walker is the goalie for the varsity team and has been continuing to represent the strong goalie history of Strath Hav- en’s field hockey team after Caroline Boyd and Gillian Gunn. She has kept up this reputation with numerous honors from the Cen-
tral League. Sophia Foglio is returning of defensive this year. This is her second year starting on the varsity team and we can’t wait to see how she brings her skills to the team for the upcoming season. Finally, Emily Milone is excited to bring her skills and unbeatable speed to the attacking line up this year. She shows an outstanding amount of perseverance and passion for the team.

Coach Reid and Coach Angel will be returning as the varsity head coaches for the upcoming season, while Coach Pigeon returns as the junior varsity coach. These three
coaches played field hockey during their college years and are still able to challenge some of the players with their out- standing hits. The coaches continue to show their commitment and love for the team and the sport, all the players feel welcomed with open arms. While the may be the coaches of the team, they are also the players friends and leaders in life. The team’s first home game during the school season will be September 7th at 3:45 for the varsity team. JV will follow at 5:00. Please come and show your school spirit for this outstanding team!! Also come support the team as they take on one of their biggest rivals, Ridle1y Field Hockey. The team is looking forward taking on this upcoming season and is ex- cited to share it with you. Go Shockey!

Haven Field Hockey