• New Semester Begins 1/25

• Finals on 1/22 and 1/23

Fantasy Football from the Perspective of Someone Who Doesn’t Really Know How Football Works

Chris Schmucki, '18, Staff Writer

Quarterback! Wide receiver! Running back! Touchdown! Interception! Kickoff! Field goal! Fumble! Sack! Down! These words pretty much amalgamate my vocabulary in football. For the past two years, I have been taking part in Fantasy Football leagues without really knowing much about the sport. I distinctly remember my very first league, starting with the draft, about two summers ago. I entered without reading up on any of the players, their stats, or projections. I drafted a kicker in one of the first rounds because someone said it as a joke that I took too seriously. Bad mistake. After the first draft, I was totally lost. While my friends were deep in the Fantasy zone, I didn’t know the first move to make. Who do I keep on my roster? Who do I put on my bench? Should I trade this guy? I almost gave up, but I wanted to make the most of my $10 buy- in. Fortunately, my friends were not hyper- zealous, and always gave honest answers to the innumerable questions I asked. As the season went on, and once I figured out how to view the rankings, I noticed I was not doing all that bad. Not the top of the group, but not the bottom either. This
intrigued me. I was least prepared out of everyone in the league, and yet I’m not the worst? I thought to myself. Maybe Fantasy wasn’t as knowledge-based as I had thought it to be. At the end of my first season, surprisingly enough, I actually ended up losing in the championship match, coming in second place overall to Aidan Frick. I can accredit this success to
my beginners luck, and Gage Bailey who proffered me his best players mid-season. One year later, and the next season is starting up again. This time, I know a little more than I had a year ago, but still nothing relative to my friends. I arrived at the draft, pen and paper in hand, with a list of players who I wanted on my team. By the end of the draft, I was feeling pretty good about who I had picked. A few weeks later, however, my team was suffering; injuries galore. I was picking up and dropping players like crazy. No matter what move I made, I just kept losing. Okay, well now that I’m better prepared, I’m starting to suck? I was thoroughly confused. At the end of the season, I finished in second to last place, just barely avoiding the punishment of wearing XC shorts to school for a week.

After giving it some thought, I was able to draw some conclusions about Fantasy Football. It’s not about what you know, or who you are, 99% of the game is pure luck. You can’t guess how a football player is going to pursue their career. I could be wrong, because I know nearly nothing about football, but I’m just speaking from experience. May Aidan Frick’s undefeated record reign for an eternity.