• School Begins on 9/5!

Out With the Old and In With the Old?

Amy Vella, '18, Staff Writer

The 80’s are in. With off the shoulder tops, high waisted boyfriend jeans and even shoulder pads, the 80’s have made yet another appearance. Kendall Jenner, an American fashion model, has flaunted her old fashion taste. But is it really old fashion, or are these the new old trends?

It seems that society follows the styles and trends of celebrities. Even here at Strath Haven, it is quite clear that the trends of the past have come back to haunt us. It is easy to find fish-net stockings and punk rocker shoes in the halls between classes, and this is most definitely due to celebrity influences.Being a teenager during any generation a teen is most likely going to be a follower without even realizing it. Most trendsetters are the “superiors” such as celebrities and models. During the 80’s a big role model for most teens was Madonna. Her style was very neon, puffy and lots of fishnets. Today, people are bringing back the fishnets. With ripped boyfriend jeans and fishnets underneath, this look is starting to become very popular.

An additional trend that is coming back is the Adidas Superstar white sneakers with 3 black stripes. These sneakers were worn by most teens in the 80’s and are making another appearance today. Adidas sold more than 15 million pairs in 2015 alone. These sneakers became trendy and sold fast due to celebrities who advertised them such as Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Jay Z, Kanye West and Pharrell. The crowd continues to follow.

With these repetitions we need to ask ourselves, are the present and future going to continue to repeat history? Is creativity and ingenuity in fashion simply a thing of the past? As we make concious choices in following others instead of developing our own style, how will this decision making affect adolesents in the long run? It will be interesting to see if society goes on following the “new” trends or if something new and original rises and takes center stage?

Out With the Old and In With the Old?