Camerata Spring Program

Hendrick Xiong-Calmes, '18, Online Editor

After much deliberation and taking the students’ advice into consideration, our school’s choral director Mr. Shankweiler has finally decided to compose the 2017 Spring Choral Concert program of recent pop music. Time and effort has been put into making the selections for this year not only a reflection of Strath Haven values, but of what the student body considers to musical genius in our current age of expression.

As a freshman, I had a fair amount of friends join Camerata, only to be let down when they found themselves singing songs in German and Latin that simply bored them. These friends eventually left Camerata, but I can only imagine that this happens every year with the new freshman class; people are prompted to sing something that blatantly does not pique their interest. But Mr. Shankweiler has finally recognized this, and in an attempt to gain more singers in Camerata, has created a roster of pop music to appeal to a larger audience. The program is rumored to include the songs that follow. First, “Anaconda” by Nicki Minaj is rumored to be the show stopping first track to the concert. Next, to show off their vocal range, Shankweiler will lead the chorus through David Guetta’s “Titanium” featuring Sia. To throw it back to an oldie but a goodie, “Fancy” by Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX will be in the middle of the performance. It is only speculation at the moment, but senior Alex Viera may be called upon for the rapping skills to truly live up to Iggy Azalea’s masterpiece. “All the Way Up” by Remy Ma will also be sung by the infamous Strath Haven Camerata. Finally, to round off a show stopping lineup, the chorus will be honoring Destiny’s Child with a rendition of “Bootylicious”. Overall, a program with songs like these would be an artistic and popularity equivalent to that of last year’s requiem at the Spring Concert. The only issue that I could come up with would be the number of songs that the Camerata would have to sing. The Camerata would have to sing around 15 songs to occupy a full hour of the audience’s time, the songs being about three minutes and thirty seconds in length. This however, is just an issue that Mr. Shankweiler would be able to fix with some artistic decision-making. Usually this problem is not front and center because of the typical thirty to hour long songs that are performed, but this year it will be interesting to see how the music department approached the challenge of shorter songs. Perhaps we will see some improvisation or mashups, but only time will tell.

Look forward to this spring’s choral concert, as this is a new and experimental program being performed. The program is sure to keep feet tapping in the parent dominated audience, so be on the lookout for this concert that you do not want to miss. In fact, it is possible that for the first time in Strath Haven history, this may produce a standing ovation from the audience. If it goes well, Mr. Shankweiler will find himself doing future programs that are more experimental and a tad more “out-there.”

In fact, if the word of one inside source is to be trusted, the changes in our music department do not end there this spring. The band has apparently taken the stance of watching how the Camerata program plays out and deciding their actions from there. If all turns out well with a great impression during the performance, Mr. Hontz claims he will seriously concider the addition of “What Makes You Beautiful” by the famous British band One Direction into the Spring concert.

If is clear that quite a lot is riding off of the success of this Camerata show program this Spring season so be sure to stay tuned. Apparently not only will Band be affected, but the morning announcement committee states that they are watching closely to see if another form of musical section could potentially be featured on Friday mornings. If the program is well received, we students may be hearing Bootylicious” mixed in to the boring Friday morning routine later this Spring. You didn’t hear it from me, but this could potentially be a turning point in Strath Haven music history. No pressure to you singers in Camerata, but be sure to smash it so that the rest of Strath Haven can experience the benefits. The emotion and vivid imagery associated with popular music today must be treasured and memorialized in Strath Haven history.

Camerata Spring Program