Questions Raised Over New Dress Code Changes

Ryan Sheehan, '17, Editor

Coming off the heels of a bungled dress code change earlier this year, the administration has since been working on a compromise that has the potential to encourage school-appropriate clothing while still managing to keep up with the times. In recent years, the dress code changes proposed and enforced by the faculty created outrage and unrest within the student body. Through faculty discussion, parental input and extensive community polling, the groundwork for a new plan has finally been established: as of the 2017- 2018 school year, Ivy League apparel will be mandatory. “We really just wanted a solution that could be ushered in without all of the unrest that came with our last attempt, so we figured we might as well go with something we knew the student body would be comfortable with,” responded Dr. Yannacone when questioned about the thought process that went into this change.

According to insider sources, however, some faculty members still have their doubts. As one Ms. Canada (name has been altered for confidentiality purposes) put it, “When a student looks around and sees that everyone else is also wearing a shirt sporting a giant University of Pennsylvania logo like it was made for some sort of intellectual Hester Prynne, they’re almost certainly going to begin to feel like an equal among their peers. I can guarantee you now that that isn’t going to bode well with the student body.” Yet some of the students we talked to didn’t seem to fall in this category. “I have 3 Harvard hoodies, 4 Princeton beanies and even a Dartmouth coaster that I’ll bring with me if I have my Nalgene,” remarked one student excitedly, clearly unopposed to the change. Those Haven students who already grace the halls with overpriced but proudly logoed sweatshirts and tee shirts are sure to adapt to the chance quickly.

However, one hamster bound senior asked some serious questions. Guac Haase (again confidentiality) asked, “What about hamster pride? How do all of the Baby Ivies fit in?” When the Press asked Yannacone on the status of acceptability of apparel from “little Ivies,” schools like Amherst, Williams, and Bowdoin, Dr. Yannacone responded with a hearty laugh that lasted for fifteen minutes. One student who was upset by the new dress code commented, “There’s already so much pressure at this school to succeed. Only 50% of high school seniors go on to any type of college. Getting into college should be an accomplishment in itself, not a measuring stick for self-worth.” The student has asked that his or her name be kept anonymous as “speaking out against the Ivies is a treasonable offense at Strath Haven.” “We wanted to build a dress code that could fit with most students’ wardrobes while maintaining certain standards of integrity” said one administrator. “The only problem,” the administrator continued, “Is that students tend to stop wearing their ivy league apparel come April.” This abnormality is yet to be fully comprehended by the administration, but this small glitch is sure to work itself out with a little extra studying and effort. At least for now, the plan is still set to be enacted. Administration has been seriously collaborating with neighboring school districts to determine any long term affects on the mentality of students. If you readers have any input, feel free to contact us at [email protected] We will make sure to put you in contact with the important people making these types of decisions.

According to inside sources here at Strath Haven High School, the meeting to finalize details took place last Friday, however, only 5.3% of the people who requested admission were allowed to sit in.