Decorated Track Team Hopes for Outdoor Sucess

Grace Haase & Maddie Forbes, ‘17, Staff Writers

This past winter sports season, the Strath Haven Women’s Indoor Track runners demonstrated the strength and depth of their team. Whether on the track or the field, our runners competed with grit, heart, (and sometimes even a little blood). Their constant display of sportsmanship and humility earned even typically pessimistic Coach Coren’s respect. Competing at the state meet, Strath Haven brought home numerous accolades. Though they were not able to obtain any of the coveted first place running watches, two of the relay teams finished close to the leaders. In the first event of the meet, the 4×800 team pushed themselves to their limits, proving that unidentified underdogs can find their way to the top. Though their anchor leg finished a few seconds behind North Penn, Grace Haase, Maddie Forbes, Isabel Cardi, and Grace Forbes remain optimistic about their potential to win big in the outdoor season.

The Distance Medley Relay proved to be one of the most exciting events of the State meet for Strath Haven. Maddie Forbes led off running the 1200m, followed by Olivia Malley in 400m, Isabel Cardi in the 800m, and Grace Forbes in the 1600m (6 laps, 2 laps, 4 laps, and 8 laps respectively for all of you non-runners out there). The race came down to the last few laps the mile; Grace Forbes and Perkiomen Valley’s miler were battling it out as they moved fluidly down each straightaway and determinedly rounded each bend. Matching each other stride for stride, Grace made her move, attempting to pull away from the other team. Rounding the final bend on the final lap, Perk Valley’s runner found an extra kick, and unfortunately managed to outstep our runner over the line, beating Strath Haven by approximately .9 seconds.

Regardless of the results, each runner did their best, and Coach Coren was proud of everything the girls had accomplished. The runners had all come to understand and appreciate that sheer time or state recognition did not represent the hard work put into every practice and race. Though the results did not come out in Strath Haven’s favor, spirits were still high on the bus home, a telling fact symbolic of the team’s unshakeable spirit. Grace Forbes and Grace Haase both experienced the challenge of running on an all senior relay teams at states. This year Grace Forbes comments on this experience stating, “It was a lot of fun running with such great seniors.” After burning rubber from freshman to senior year, Grace Haase recalls her freshman relay team of all seniors claiming, “I still remember how talented those senior girls were; they really pushed our relay to be better.” No doubt that having a senior dominated relay team indicates a large amount of senior talent, but the appearance of underclassmen athletes such as Grace Forbes and Olivia Malley shows signs of a bright future ahead for Strath Haven Indoor Track. This underclassmen talent working with the veteran runners on the team may spell success for their outdoor season as well.

Coming off of such a successful run during the indoor season, Strath Haven Outdoor Track has high hopes for the spring. Keeping in mind the streaks they must keep alive, they also have high expectations for the season. Strath Haven Women’s track has not lost a central league meet for sixtysix straight competitions. Potential threats to this holding on to the central league title are Upper Darby, Penncrest, and Ridley.

per Darby, Penncrest, and Ridley. A great challenge for the team will be the transition from the indoor to the outdoor season. This means moving from a more individual focused competition style with Friday night Lehigh meets to an outdoor style that is composed additionally of dual meets. To continue succeeding in outdoor track this year, the Haven team must not only dominate in distance events as they did indoor, but also take to the field jumping events, sprints, and throws with the same talent and focus. Senior sprinter Lizzie King returns this year to bolster the speed of our team. She greets this spring season with anticipation saying, “I’m excited to be back. I’m looking forward to seeing how our team competes against some of the historically fast sprinting teams this spring.” Additionally, Junior jumper Nicole Raimo returns to outdoor after a successful indoor season. Senior Claire Van Duyne and Sophomore Alex Hehn will continue to lead the field in pole vault, and seniors Rachel Kent and Helen Qi along with junior Dana Hubbell hope to achieve in the hurdles. Succeeding both on the track and in the field is key to success within the central league.

Although, the central league title is not the only title Strath Haven needs to defend. For the past seven years, they have also been the Delaware County Champions. The Delaware County Championships is a much more competitive meet, so it is going to take a lot of talent to defend that title. However, with the right amount of team depth, it can be done. Senior Sprinter Lizzie King says that, “It’s always nice to have an amazing stud, or a couple, who can place first in a lot of events, but the major key to success is having a well-rounded team that is able to score in a variety of events.” Pennwood and Upper Darby are going to be the toughest competition going into the meet, so Strath Haven will have to outscore those teams in their weak spots. The other important goals all have to do with how the team performs on a district and state level. Being in one of the toughest districts in the state, placing in the district is basically as impressive as placing in the state. That being said, Strath Haven has high expectations at both the District Meet and the State Championships.

No doubt the Haven girls pushed hard and won big at indoor states this year, but the next few months will be telling on whether coach William Coren along with his team can reach the same high heights outdoor.