March Madness

Ryan Krouse, '19, Staff Writer

It’s almost that time of year when sports fans are glued to TVs for hours at a time with filled-out brackets in their hands. There is nothing like March Madness. This is the term used to describe the annual NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament where 68 teams are chosen to play for the national championship. These teams are selected by a committee from different conferences all over the country and are ranked by seeds from one to sixteen. “March March” is used to describe the tournament because it occurs in March and is filled with amazing upsets that occur when higher seeded teams defeat lower seeded ones. An example in recent years is when the 2013 Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles (15 seed) defeated Georgetown University (2 seed) and San Diego State (7 seed), ultimately losing in the round of sixteen. Although there have been many upsets throughout tournament history, a sixteen seed has never defeated a one seed.

seed has never defeated a one seed. Most people who watch March Madness predict the outcome of the games and fill out their own brackets. Often, bets are placed which can create a lot of tension when it comes to the results of the games. To help, here are certain tricks to use and pieces of information to keep in mind when filling out brackets. In the past 31 years, a twelve seed has beaten a five seed forty times, so it would be wise to pick at least one of these underdogs. Another potential upset to look at the number nine seed, who have won fifty three percent of their first round games. When thinking about who has the chance to win the national championship, the lowest seed to ever win was an eight seed. This occurred in 1985 when Villanova beat Georgetown. Also, the last fourteen teams to win the title have averaged at least 73 points per game during the regular season along with a scoring differential of seven points per game. And finally, the chance of all four number one seeds making it to the final four is slim, since it has only occurred once in history.

In 2016, Villanova won the NCAA Men’s Basketball National Championship. The entire tournament was thrilling and it came down to the wire by the end of the madness. This year the Villanova team is in a great position for a repeat win and would be a solid pick to bet on. Other serious contenders include Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor. Look for teams from the Big 12, ACC, Big East and Pac 12 to get the most teams into the tournament. Whoever you root for, it is sure to be another incredible tournament.

March Madness