Haven Baseball Looks to Make a Statement

Brendon Riccardi, '17, Staff Writer

The Strath Haven Baseball team coached by Brian Fili is coming off a season where they went 10-6, and were eliminated in the first round of the District 1 AAAA playoffs by Wissahickon. The team was as good as anyone in the league at pitching/defense, but struggled to find their rhythm on offense, which led to the early exit. There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic heading into this season, and both fans and players alike are eager to see how far the Haven team can go and how much they can accomplish this spring.

The team returns seven out of nine starters from last season, and they hope that the up and down season last year helped give these players experience to work with. The team has put a lot of effort into hitting this offseason, in hopes that they can become the most well-rounded team in the league, and add another dimension to the team that they have been lacking for the past few seasons. The baseball team has decided on three captains for this season, all being seniors. Outfielder Casey Rosier looks to bat leadoff this year, using his speed on the basepaths to create more runs for the team. He also takes that speed and a great arm into Center Field, where he leads a, once again, very strong Panther defense. Evan Atsaves was named the second captain. With the athleticism that Atsaves possesses, he could see time catching, pitching, playing infield, or playing outfield. He plays wherever he is needed, and that is great for any coach to have. The last captain on the list is Pitcher or First Baseman Will Carey. He looks to carry a big load as the ace of the pitching staff, and also has a power bat that will see him right in the middle of the lineup driving in runs. All three of these guys have done a tremendous job of building team chemistry in the Saturday Morning workouts in Newtown Square.

Luke Mutz, Anthony Viggiano, and Chase Davis all return after strong first impressions during their sophomore years, and now with more experience under their belt, they all figure to have big roles in the middle infield of this strong Haven defense this year as returning juniors. Having a strong junior class is the sign for a great future for the team. Sophomores Brady Mutz and Noah Atsaves look to chip in as well, at catcher and pitcher respectively. This senior class is one of the largest in years past, and they will find ways to contribute in any way possible around the field. Seniors Drew Robinson, Chris DiRienzi, Devon Moore, Colin Mohollen, Devin Van Gorden, Solomon Bayuk and Brendan Ricciardi all look to make statements on the field this year. They will definitely play a role in the depth of the team this upcoming season. Returning Senior Devon Moore comments on his hope for the team stating, “We are determined for a central league championship and a long playoff run.”

This hopes are not too lofty because overall, this a very strong and experienced Panther team. The key to success for the squad is to get the offense going, and win when it counts most. On and off the field, team dynamic will be at the center of how this team blends and works together, and this will ultimately determine how far the Panthers can go. The pre-season opens on March sixteenth at Malvern Prep, and the Central League opener is 3/27 vs Harriton. The team hopes to eventually contend for a District AAAAA playoff spot, and a Central League Championship.