The Superbowl: For Us Non-Athletes

Claire Van Duyne, '17, Editor-In-Chief

One of the often-overlooked aspects of our school’s Music and Arts program is Jazz. Unknown to many, jazz has taken root at Strath Haven in many forms. Rehearsing after school and at night, the high school has many jazz ensembles that emphasize different aspects of the genre. With Jazz Night just around the corner and some performances having already passed, the Jazz Bands of Strath Haven deserve the chance to be understood and learned about for the betterment of the music diversity at our school.

Jazz is a fairly diverse genre of music that has developed and evolved over the years. Therefore, our school does not contain just one jazz band. Rather, we have the Saxophone Quartet, the Septet, the Rock Band, and the Panther Jazz Band. In total, this makes four different jazz ensembles at Haven. First, the saxophone quartet is a group of four saxophone players that focus on technique. A very jazzy instrument, the saxophone quartet is made up of four different types of saxophones. Next, the Septet is a seven person ensemble that specializes on the jazz music centered around the 1920s. This sound is different, with a tuba and clarinet which are both not traditionally thought of as jazz instruments. Additionally, the Rock Band specializes in more pop music with rock being its focus. Singers like Jessie Jacobson and Zoe Brown also sing. Finally, the Panther Jazz band is the big ensemble that is more traditional. The Panther carries swing tunes, hits by Stevie Wonder, and more. The four different bands demonstrate the value of jazz at our school as well as the student interest. Senior trombone player for the Panther and singer in the Rock Band Zoe Brown says, “I think being able to wonder outside of concert band and explore a genre of music that is so important to our nations history and black history is really cool. I’m a long time fan of jazz, so playing it is great.” Members of the jazz band are chosen through auditions, and these musicians dedicate time practicing through March. This month, Mr. Fischer and Mr. Greenhall led the ensembles for performances at the elementary schools and the middle school jazz festival. Later this month, they will be performing at Jazz Night.

While it is clear that the high school musicians who participate in different jazz bands enjoy the genre, it is also important that the rest of the WSSD community hears it and are part of the process. Mr. Greenhall, head of the Panther Jazz Band, states, “Jazz is Americas only indigenous music, so it’s important to keep it alive.” Jazz is most certainly alive here at Strath Haven thanks to the efforts of our school’s jazz ensembles.

The Superbowl: For Us Non-Athletes