Swarthmore Rotary Club Gives Back

Brendan Lordan, '17, Staff Writer

The Swarthmore Rotary Club is offering a unique award to two senior students in the Strath Haven Class of 2017, and the chance to participate is fast upon us. Recently raised to 5,000 dollars for each recipient, the scholarship money will be given to college-bound seniors who have an exceptional history in service to their community, country, and the world at large. The Rotary Club’s award is the largest local scholarship that SHHS students can win, and is meant to give back to those who give selflessly. Applications can be found in the second floor guidance office and are should be returned by April 1st.

Last year, Strath Haven’s senior students Maddie Stabinski and Sameen Oboudiyat were presented with the Rotary Club’s award. While the scholarship is intended to be presented to one male and one female student, in recent years, the selection committee has received drastically more applications from females than males. In 2016, ten girls applied compared to only one boy. “While we prefer [to award] one to a boy and one to a girl, we will not do it if it is grossly unfair,” says Rich Shimko, the committee chair. Shimko hopes that the increase in the amount of the scholarship, more than double the original amount of $2,000, will inspire more students to apply. A donation of $60,000 from the children of the late leader of the Swarthmore Women’s Club ensures that the scholarship will continue to support local students for years to come. This scholarship provides an opportunity for the Swarthmore Rotary Club to give back and direct impact the lives of students here in the Strath Haven community.

The Swarthmore Rotary Club’s dedication to community service extends far beyond the scholarship. Since it was chartered in 1937, the club has been involved in dozens of causes across the world, from “water purification in Belize to solar panels in Africa to flood victims in Eastern Pennsylvania.” Around 50 members from around Swarthmore meet weekly to discuss and plan how the club can best benefit the community. Those interested in the Rotary Club are invited to attend the meetings, which are held at 12:10 every Thursday at the Inn at Swarthmore. For those who are interested seniors, do not let this opportunity pass by without a second glance.

Swarthmore Rotary Club Gives Back