Swim-Track Rivalry Reignited

Daniel Larson & Sean Adams, ‘18, Staff Writers

With both the swimming and indoor track seasons in full swing, the next chapter of rivalry is yet to be written. For several years, the friendly heckling and competition between two polar opposite sports has been palpable. The oddnatured rivalry began between friends on both teams playing jokes on one another.

Some jokes, although between only close friends, were taken too far. One alumni runner once was drenched with water as he walked home in sub-freezing temperatures. Whenever the swim team locker room was found littered with soap or trash on the floor, the blame was cast on the track team. Likewise, hallways used to run workouts were often mysteriously wet, a presumable act of war from the swimmers. This war hit a climax with an eventual water gun fight breaking out after one practice. Since then, the major acts of the rivalry has come to a temporary halt, but for peace? Or, something else?

Such antics have recently resumed. With the the sudden disappearance of a swimming relic (that of which will not be named) and the team speaker disappearing to the weight room, Haven’s swimmers are looking to the most likely culprit, the track team, for answers. Swimming’s self-proclaimed “core members” have taken measures to test this hunch by banning all track athletes from the “swimming side” of the locker room.

Senior track athlete Rachel Kent remarked that “tension between teams used to be much worse.” She noted that “minor conflicts would break out where a few swimmers would purposefully slick the Green Mile and interfere with our hurdlers.” Senior indoor track athlete Max Memeger commented that “interactions between teams were always harmless fun and ‘memery’, and it went away on its own naturally. Currently they are just pointing fingers at us for incidents that we are obviously not behind” He then continued by issuing a formal statement to the swim team claiming that the track team “will abstain from instigating any sort of altercation between the two teams, but will gladly play their game of chess providing they move the first pawn.” Junior swimmer Jake Booth hedonistically remarked that “everything is in good spirit; I want to bring it back because it unites each sport with some rootin’ tootin’ team spirit.”

Rumors and accusations spread like wildfire, and at this point in our rivalry, it does not matter who wronged whom. With many odd happenings occurring to the swim team not instigated by the track team, both teams have begun to wonder whether or not there is another unknown team involved.

Swim-Track Rivalry Reignited