Trust The Process

Ian Guilday, '19, Staff Writer

Last year, the Philadelphia 76ers had one of the worst records in NBA history. They became the laughing stock of the league, winning only 10 of their 82 games. The team did worse than bad and left fans in embarassed shock. On the bright side, it is unlikely that the Sixers could do worse than this past year, so looking ahead the Philadelphia 76ers may have a productive and potentially dramatic year of rebuilding in store.

The one upside of this horrendous season was that the Sixers had the first overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft. With this pick, they selected an Australian forward who played for LSU in college, Ben Simmons. With the addition of Simmons, and the long awaited start of 2014 draft pick Joel “The Process” Embiid, it looked like the Sixers may have been able to turn their luck around.

Unfortunately, Simmons was recently sidelined with a foot injury, putting the team in a rough situation. After this upsetting injury, it appeared as though the slight edge that the Sixers had entering into this season was lost. However, Embiid and teammate Jahlil Okafor have been able to make up for his absence for the time being. When Simmons has fully recovered, his return to the court will undoubtedly boost the team’s’ morale, and will hopefully lead to several more wins.

Unfortunately, the 76ers still have much to improve on, on and off the court. Their lack of a solid point guard has led to all sorts of problems. They need someone who can make plays and take control of the game, a role that the team is hoping Simmons can fill. However, no matter which position Simmons plays, Sixers fans are just hoping he’ll follow in the footsteps of previous number one draft pick Allen Iverson, and lead the team to the NBA Finals with skill and leadership.

Philadelphians are left waiting in anticipation for the fate of the Sixers, but they can only hope that no matter what happens, this season does not leave the Philadlphia sports reputation in even more shambles than this past year. Hopefully this year brings about new energy, talent, and sucess for the Sixers and the overall Philadelphia area. Nobody can deny the fact that the great city of Philadelphia is in need of a “W”, so until it is known for sure the fate of our basketball team we simply must trust the process.

On Comcast Sportsnet, previous Sixers star Allen Iverson encouraged fans to be patient with the Sixers stating, “A fan is a fan. You’re supposed to be diehard. You’re supposed to believe. That’s what Philly fans are.” One can only hope that as we continue to hope, it pays off this season for our Philadelphia 76ers. To say it one last time, everyone just make sure to trust the process.

Trust The Process