The Dancers of Haven

Kerry Sheehan, '18, Staff Writer

Although Dance Haven may be small, they sure are mighty. They go all out, putting on two full length and free shows in a single school year full and practicing almost daily in order to prepare. This often-overlooked Strath Haven club is a force to be reckoned with and has talent in bucket loads.

“Dance Haven is a student-run club where we choreograph our own routines, which we perform in a show at the end of each semester.” says one of the club’s leaders, junior Sadie Loving. “In our fall show, we performed a variety of dances in many styles, including modern, tap, ballet, hip-hop, and jazz.” The club, made up of experienced dancers from multiple local studios, has a concentration on modern, but features some standout routines in other styles, including stylized hip hop and tap numbers that will leave you smiling for days. “I love Dance Haven because it gives dancers an opportunity to showcase our skills, both dancing and choreographing. And because it’s a bunch of wonderful people just having a lot of fun rehearsing together,” says Loving.

Dancers in this club include seniors Serafina Thomas and Anna Morreale, and it is impressive to see the widespread grasp Dance Haven has within the school. Underclassmen dancers as well as the veterans dance together in a combination of solo dances, duets, and group numbers to perform for a stunned audience each and every performance.

Dance Haven, who just put on their 5th show, hopes to spread the word and draw in wider audiences in the future. Founded in 2014, the club has not been around nearly as long as lots of other school activities, which may be better known. Their choreography is not simply for a dancers’ eye, as there is something for everyone to enjoy. “I really love how Dance Haven gives another art form a chance to shine, theatre and visual art have classes but this is the place where Haven has some amazing dancers.” says Nick Shaffer, a frequent showcase attendee. “Sadie Loving did a tap number to a Pentatonix Mix and it was a great combination of tap and modern music.”

They are hoping this will be their biggest year yet, as they have grown and improved their showcase line up. Their first show featured very few group dances and mainly solos, many of which were not student choreographed. Their December 16th show featured six groups dances, four duets, and four solos, and was almost entirely student-choreographed. This development is expected to continue in the future as they use their creativity to experiment with showcase numbers. Each show also features a comedic interlude by senior Sofia Sheehan that is always a crowd favorite.

Keep an eye out for upcoming Dance Haven shows if you are looking for a night of inspiration, relaxation, and entertainment. The club is sure to improve and grow upon its talent and potential, so come second semester make sure to not miss the big show.

The Dancers of Haven