AP Seminar: What’s It About?

Hendrick Xiong-Calmes, Online Editor

Panther Press: What differentiates AP Seminar from the other AP classes offered at here at Strath Haven?

Ms. Drew: AP Seminar is focused on teaching students advanced research skills so that they can be prepared extensive research on the humanities in college and beyond.

PP: What applicable life-skills do you think students can get from this course?

MD: This year more than ever, the abilities to pull apart an argument and examine its credibility is such an important skill for all United States citizens. This course teaches its students how to be able to understand if an argument is solid, and to know if it is factual and to know the credibility of the information that is out there on the internet. Also, not all internet is equal, and AP Seminar helps students to get a lot of hands-on experience with that. That itself is an amazing skill for people to have in their lives, not just for college.

PP: How does the integrated AP Seminar/ English 11 H course compare to just English 11?

MD: I am really enjoying it. They have dovetailed more nicely than I originally thought they were going to. Especially because that junior curriculum is based on world literature, and we’re looking at global issues in the humanities classes. So I think it has worked out very nicely and we are definitely getting good at shifting between the two sets of skills: working on literary analysis and reading comprehension with the literature units, and bouncing off of those and diving into the research units. We combined the two of them with our unit on The Kite Runner, which was an experiment, but a good one.

PP: What makes the AP Seminar test at the task, one is an individual task, and those are uploaded to the College Board website and evaluated there. That makes up the rest of your AP grade.

PP: What are you doing with your class right now?

MD: Right now, we are studying Hamlet, and exploring the language of Shakespeare, and how it makes meaning in addition to our thematic look at perspectives. The English 11 theme is world literature, but also perspectives and being able to come from a variety of lenses. That fits really nicely with what we are doing in our AP class. Hamlet is another one of those central texts where it can be viewed from so many perspectives and students can get so much out of it, even though it was written 400 years ago.

PP: What do you have to say to sophomores considering taking the class in the 2017-2018 school year?

MD: If you are very interested in current events, if you like research, if you interested in argumentation and argument analysis, if you are passionate about ideas, and if long-term, you would like to do a major research project as an independent study your senior year, this is the class for you. It will give you the skills you need and help develop your group skills in terms of working with other researchers.

AP Seminar: What’s It About?