Awards Season Check-In

October and November are strange months in award seasons. The critics have already reviewed the major contenders at the major festivals (Sundance, Berlin, Cannes, Venice, Telluride, TIFF, Locarno) and award shows have yet to nominate anybody. We are left here to speculate over what will get recognition. Here are some new developments in the award season race since the festival season ended, just to keep updated with the academy.

1. Birth of a Nation falls out of favor

Looks like the controversy finally caught up to it. After Nate Parker wrote that he regretted the ways he treated women in the past, some people thought the film might be able to get back on track. Unfortunately, his 60 Minutes interview in which he denied feeling regret for the rape subsequent suicide of a young college girl, reignited the flame and caused more people to boycott the movie. Because of this, its box office showings were bleak especially when it was the most expensive movie to be sold at Sundance. It looks like Nate Parker won’t win an Oscar anytime soon.

2. Amy Adams might finally win

After the Best Actor win for The Revenant, Amy Adams has become the new Leonardo Dicaprio, a consistently incredible actor who does not get her due recognition. After five nominations, the Oscars might see her talent as she also has two acclaimed movies out this year. Nocturnal Animals by designer, Tom Ford follows a woman as her husband dedicates a violent and sad book to her and Arrival by Denis Villeneuve tells the story of a team of experts investigating the appearance of mysterious spacecrafts. With two huge movies, one has to win.

3. Netflix docs rule!

Both Netflix docs tell the story of an injustice. An American university student wrongly jailed in Italy for four years with Amanda Knox and the other by Queen Ava Duvernay (director of Selma) tells the story of the systematic oppression of Black Americans since the end of the Civil War with The 13th. As a citizen, you have to watch both (but maybe one more so than the other).

4. Toni Erdmann for the win

If you followed the Cannes Film Festival as closely as I did (which I’m guessing you didn’t because you probably had more interesting things to do) all you heard about was Toni Erdmann and how great it was and when it didn’t win the Palme D’Or, all the critics talked about was the injustice. It’s a story of a workaholic woman who is forced to spend some time with her father. Even after many rounds at the festivals, people still think it is uproariously funny and surprisingly touching. AO Scott even said that this was the movie to silence any claims of the death of cinema so watch out for this one.

5. Casey Affleck best actor

They started talking about him back in January at Sundance for his performance in Manchester by the Sea and still have yet to get tired of him or swoon over another actor ‘s performance as much as the other Affleck’s performance. Let’s hope we have a new Academy Award winning dynasty to match the Coppolas or the Hustons.

6. Moonlight might bring an end to #oscarsowhite

Moonlight is probably one of the most well received movies of this festival season and could be just what the Academy needs to show that they are not one of the most racist institute in America. It is well past needed. This movie is about a black man coming of age and dealing with his race, his sexuality , and of course “The War on Drugs”. Check it out. You won’t regret it.

Awards Season Check-In