Philly’s Best Haunted Attractions

Olivia Riess, '19, Staff Writer

As Halloween passes by daredevils and scaredy cats alike have and will continue to be attending haunted houses. For some odd reason, we, as teens, just love being frightened. The sweaty palms, the rapid heartbeat, and the shakiness gives us a strange rush as we are terrified to the bone time and time again. Everyone has their limits, but for those not faint of heart, you might want to consider visiting some of these best rated Halloween attractions Philly has to offer.

Eastern State Penitentiary- Terror Behind the Walls:

The infamous location of an old prison, the Eastern State Penitentiary is colossal in size. During the 1940s, prisoners and officers made various reports of paranormal activity suggesting a real-life haunted factor. This combined with the fact that Terror Behind the Walls is often considered one of the best Halloween attractions in the country makes for a very interesting night. If you do decide to go, you will have to decide between watching the action or actually partaking and being touched by the actors. The choice is yours!

Pennhurst Asylum:

Once a site of embarrassment for Pennsylvania, the Pennhurst Asylum was a severely dysfunctional mental institution. Unfortunately, the place embodied the rumors of maltreatment for patients. It is believed that because of the abuse and neglect, the ghosts of the patients still walk the very halls searching for justice. The Pennhurst Asylum itself has three primary attractions: Dungeon of Lost Souls allows you to explore cells with terrific actors and effects, The Tunnel Terror takes you through underground catacombs and tunnels complete with special scenes as well, and finally The Ghost Hunt is an individual tour of some of the most actively haunted locations of the property.

Fright Factory:

A combination of four old attractions, the Fright Factory includes iChem. Industries, Philadelphia Haunted Asylum, Undercroft Cemetery and Amygdala. The set details and actors’ ability there have been described as insane. The lighting creates a ghastly environment ultimately enhancing each scare. The Asylum part of Fright Factory takes you through chambers where doctors tortured and experimented on patients. The patients supposedly fought back one day killing the employees and then each other. You may just have an unscheduled supernatural happening here.

The Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride:

Complete with three attractions, the Bates Motel has been scaring us for 25 years. The Haunted Hayride is filled with special effects and talented actors that are sure to make you sink a little further into the hay. The Bates Motel is an indoor experience with the an incredible level of special lighting and effects. Finally, there is the Haunted Corn Maze similar to the Hayride, but without the protection of the tractor!

Candlelight Ghost Tours at Fort Mifflin:

Unlike the rest of the attractions, Fort Mifflin has no special effects. American troops were staying here during the Revolutionary War, and they faced a huge attack on the grounds that are now recognized as a National Historic Landmark. Years later, ghosts from this time wander the property. Popular figures seen and heard are The Screaming Woman, who does just that, The Faceless Man, The Lamplighter, who carries an oil-burning lamp, The Tour Guide, a figure who has supposedly given tours to visitors when no tour guide was scheduled to work, The Sad-Looking Man, and The Blacksmith. If you are looking to have real experiences, this is probably your best bet.

Philly’s Best Haunted Attractions