Zodiac Calendar Welcomes New Sign Ophiuchus

Lynnea Zhang, '19, Staff Writer

Ever find out that your entire life could be a lie? Welcome to 2016. There has been uproar on the Internet involving NASA and their introduction of the new constellation Ophiuchus into the zodiac system. The zodiac system is form of western astrology focused on the path of the sun and where it measures in longitude according to the time of the year. There are twelve different divisions where the sun can be, each of those divisions being one of the twelve original zodiac signs. The division that the sun is in on your birthday is your zodiac sign, that sign being used to predict anything from personality traits to sleeping habits. This system has in place for thousands of years, until – according to the Internet – NASA came and ruined it all.

If you were born between November 29 to December 17, congrats, you’re an Ophiuchus! Ophiuchus (meaning the Serpent Holder) is associated with traits like wisdom, justice, leadership, and charming. That is wonderful and all, but the instillation of Ophiuchus into the twelve signs means there has been severe adjustment of the dates the original divisions of the twelve signs fell upon. The original sign dates have been shifted by nearly a month or more, resulting in lots of people having completely different signs than before. The division of signs in so dramatic, some signs have divisions of 40 days, while Scorpio’s division is only 6 days. This has generated chaos, once the realization hits that the sign that you once identified under isn’t actually your sign. That means that the personality traits, sleeping habits, etc. that you’ve agreed with in the past in obscure Tumblr or Instagram posts are all (technically) untrue. It comes as a slight shock to people, as they are still reeling with the idea of a new constellation, much less having the zodiac system turned upside down.

The Internet seems to be split about this decision. Some are trying to adjust to the idea that their lives have all been a lie, and are suffering through a minor identity crisis to figure out if they really do fit under the traits of their new sign. Some have completely rejected Ophiuchus, making the argument that the Zodiac system is based upon the number of lunar cycles throughout the year and is marked by solstices and equinoxes. The tropical Zodiac system that we are familiar follows the sea- sons, not constellations, meaning that introducing a new constellation should have no effect. Their argument also consists of the fact that Ophiuchus wasn’t really discovered, we have known about its existence for centuries, it is only recent NASA addition that officially made it a constellation. Thus it really should have no effect on the zodiac system because it has always been there. Contrary to the argument that states that Ophiuchus has always been in the system, it is just that the Babylonians left Ophiuchus out because only 12 signs were needed for the 12 months; Ophiuchus is a sign and has always been one. Either way, it has been a toss-up about the validity of Ophiuchus, but it is one’s personal opinion about whether they buy into claims or not.

More importantly, what does NASA think of the chaos they have wreaked upon us? They released a statement saying: “Here at NASA, we study astronomy, not astrology. We didn’t change any zodiac signs, we just did the math.” Mic drop.