Vermin Supreme?

Martine Leech, '17, Staff Writer

Who is Vermin Supreme? He is a man, a politician. Perhaps a wizard, but most definitely a legend. He is the political performer; a satirical activist that draws attention to points that no one has ever brought attention to before. If elected president he hopes to create a law requiring people to brush their teeth. At one point, he promised every American a pony, which addressed a pressing issue that most Americans face today. This pony promise may seem like tomfoolery, and for the most part it is. However, Supreme makes relevant arguments on how this would reduce reliance on fossil fuels for transportation. In many ways, Vermin Supreme is a funny character who also represents the ridiculous nature of the spread of false information in the mainstream media.

Vermin Supreme was born in Rockport, Massachusetts and he changed his name in the 1990’s, right after he started running for public offices. He has run for president in 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016, all with minimal success (all we can do is hope for the 2016 election). He came to his peak of political fame when, in 2011, he glitter-bombed fellow president hopeful Randall Terry. Supreme stood up, took out glitter, and said, “Jesus told me to make Randall Terry gay with magic sprinkle dust”, and then he proceeded to dump every last speck onto the pro-life, conservative activist. While this may seem extreme, glitter bombing is no stranger to the political stage. Supreme may just be the first politician to do it a fellow politician on camera.

Besides being a wizard with words and fashion sense, Vermin Supreme forces the people of the United States to question just how much of politics is political performance. Does the public ever truly see the candidates or is it all simply just an act? In the case of Vermin Supreme, it is clearly an act, but how much does this carry over into mainstream politics? In a humorous way with bombs of glitter and promised ponies, Supreme raises some very important questions. How far will politicians spread lies to further their goal and to be elected? And why does the mainstream media support this form of political theatre?

Now when on the lookout for him, keep in mind Supreme always wears a large boot on his head, multiple ties, a green tiger print jacket, and often carries with him an unusually large toothbrush. He claims to be using his “joke humor” to campaign in response to the false information spread through the mainstream media, and his streak is not over. Most recently in this election, Supreme states that he “paved the way” for Donald Trump’s presidential run, much to the dismay and objection of many Trump supporters. As this election season comes to an end, all Supreme supporters can say is may the odds be ever in his favor. Should anyone wish to cast a vote for Vermin Supreme, don’t be afraid to write his name in when voting on November eighth. Who knows, you may even get a free pony out of it.

Vermin Supreme?