Leditor: Welcome Back!

Claire Van Duyne, '17, Editor-In-Chief

Dear Readers of the Panther Press,

Welcome back to Strath Haven my fellow students! For better or forworse, the summer has ended and we find ourselves once again at the start of another school year. For the Panther Press, this means our very first edition is hot off the presses and ready for the eager consumption of our readers. As we head into this new year, I am yet again amazed by what our school has to offer. This past weekend I landed myself in the Emergency Room with seven stitches and a broken nose. I’d taken a hit in a soccer game against Westchester Rustin on a hot and humid Saturday afternoon, and as I was carted into my cat scan all I could manage to think was, “I really hope we won.” Why, some may ask, would I care? In fact, why risk serious bodily harm in order to shoot a ball into a net for fun? The answer lies in the excitement, the deep friendships, the dedication and the love the team and I have for playing soccer here at Haven. Looking around at Strath Haven’s hub of activity- seeing band, orchestra, field hockey, football, Science Olympiad and Speech and Debate, just to name a few- it’s obvious that this school’s activities and opportunities are unparalleled. It is this diversity that makes me so excited for the Panther Press this year.

With so many activities and events to look forward to, Strath Haven expresses itself all year through the Panther Press. Here Haven Happenings are reported and current events are brought to life. Sports teams and athletes are highlighted. Beyond that, Arts and Entertainments and Detours provide fun and creative information on the world of Hollywood. The Opinions section allows students to express themselves like nowhere else at Strath Haven.

If I had to pick one thing that makes the Panther Press essential to the Strath Haven community, it would be its unique ability to give voice to any and all students who wish to be heard. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Our lives begin to end the minute we become silent about things that matter.” Write for the Panther Press and use your voice; you won’t regret it.

Beyond just the print editions, also look for the online edition of the newspaper at shpantherpress.com where you can check out recent Strath Haven news between print editions. From sports games to upcoming performances and everything in between, stay up to date by checking the online edition at any point throughout the year. With editors Sarah Myers in Opinions, Sofia Sheehan for Arts and Entertainment, Ryan Sheehan for Haven Happenings, Maddie Marks for Detours, Hendrick Xiong-Calmes for the online edition, and Carter Krouse for Sports, this year is sure to be exciting and eventful here at the Panther Press.

So, as the year begins and you find what interests you, what connects you to the Strath Haven community, and what makes you care enough to get seven stitches in the ER, keep in mind that touching base with the Panther Press is always a good idea. We are eager for new writers and happily anticipate the return of some old faces. Look out for our next edition and when it comes time to write, submit articles at [email protected]

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely yours,

Claire Van Duyne

Leditor: Welcome Back!