Filed under Editorial Board

The Leditor: Pilot Year of the Online Edition

In a world where information is spread in a matter of seconds, many believe that has led to the descent of the newspaper as an industry. Yet, just because your news isn’t dropped off on your doorstep at 5 am every morning, printed in black ink on grey paper, does not mean there is suddenly no more news. With sources such as the Twitter-sphere and rapid sending of messages, this means that the need for objective and accurate information is needed now, if not more, than ever. Launching a website, now we have the power to get the news to you within minutes of its occurrence. This is something we don’t want the staff writers at the Press to miss out on: the ability to learn how to write and deliver breaking news right after it happens, instead of weeks after. Let me assure you that our new site is in no way a replacement or a signification of the decline of our beautiful print edition. We will still awkwardly barge in to your fourth block classroom, a stack in hand, so you can read the paper instead of paying attention in class. We value this. In the first year of the online edition, we have reached a broad demographic. Our site’s visitors have spanned from the US to Brazil, New Zealand to South Africa. Around 72% of our audience is visiting the site for the first time — which means we are constantly reaching a new demographic and our audience continues to grow outside of Strath Haven. Thanks again for reading the Panther Press this year. We as the editorial board work very hard to making it a valuable resource to you while displaying the thoughts of the student body that we continue to cherish, no matter the medium.