Filed under Editorial Board

The Leditor: Saying Goodbye to the Class of 2014 in the Midst of Tomfoolery

Louis C.K. once discussed in his stand-up comedy how humans are the only species that are afforded the chance to pass away in their bed, surrounded by loved ones, and do not instead end their lives being chased by a predator before being eaten. This same benefit of drawn-out departure is provided to high school seniors. However, it seems many have thrown this benefit to the wind. For the majority of the student body that remembers this time of year in 2013 or 2012, the last few weeks of school are a peaceful, emotional time, in which seniors mentally withdraw from the student psyche and say goodbye to their friends and teachers. Clearly to anyone who has attended school in the last month or so, that is not the case this year. Between the fire-hazard-inducing antics of a large group of seniors christened by faculty and students alike as the “ruckus squad” and the cruel misuse of the anonymous posting app known as “Yik Yak,” one will not be able to look back on these days with fond memories of a tranquil student body coming together to tearfully honor the departing class. At least, it’s looking that way at this moment in time. Throughout my time in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District, the Class of 2014 has been bestowed with epithets like “incredibly good at school,” or “a model.” In fact, in the middle school, my Class of 2015 was often asked by teachers to reach a 2014 level of maturity during several debauchery-filled silent lunches. They were always first chair in music groups, had some sort of charity project going, and marched to the cafeteria in a straight line. The easy response to questions of why these episodes of tomfoolery have occurred is to say that this need to break out has been pent up in the Class of 2014 for several years. After all, by April, those who wish to attend college know where they’re going, and that three thousand pound gorilla has been lifted from their back. Why hold back? After years of pushing for that 5 on an AP test or jockeying for that captain position on a school varsity team, they can now rejoin their shenanigan-loving younger brothers and sisters of the Class of 2015. However, I believe that this acting out in the stairwells, at lunch, and online is merely a reaction to the prospect of having to leave high school behind. Although past classes approached this prospect in different fashions, there is surely a similar precedent to these episodes sometime in Strath Haven’s history. The idea of entering the adult world and leaving behind a past of casual immaturity is what drives events like “Freedom Friday” or “Workout Wednesday.” It is merely pushing back against having to abandon the euphoric times that define high school, not against the administration or the lowerclassmen. It is with this thought that I propose we forget these incidents of acting out. Instead, we should celebrate the people that make up the Class of 2014. From the friendly face that eased you into the high school social scene on that first day of freshmen band camp to the person you sat next to in AB Calculus. Remember the genuine smile on their face and how, thanks to Facebook, you will be continuously updated on the large and small events in their lives for the rest of your life. I wish the Class of 2014 the best, and I look forward to how my class approaches their second semester this time next year.