Filed under Editorial Board

Letter to the Editor: Prevalance of Drugs in Local Area

Just weeks after the release of the last issue of the Panther Press, which highlighted the risks of drunk driving in an article about the mock car crash, a major drug bust occurred, and several alumni of the Haverford School were arrested. The seemingly unrelated issues of drunk driving and illict drug activity are in fact interelated in that both do not discriminate; this latest large scale drug bust only further illustrates that drugs are highly prevalent in the surrounding area. The students and alumni arrested in the bust seemed to be the perfect students. From the Main Line, they were well-off, and they all seemed to have a lot going for them, and their friends and family had no idea that they were involved in a major drug ring. In our society, we have an attitude of “that can’t happen to us”, or “that’s the kind of thing that happens to someone else.” The mock car crash showed that drugs and alcohol do not discriminate against who they affect, and the drug bust showed that even the most well-to-do people can get involved with the worst people. If we don’t change our society’s stigma on drugs, these tragic events will continue to occur.